The Planning, Development and Sustainability Department maintains a planning process that reflects the evolving needs of the county and assists residents in ensuring their plans meet ordinance requirements. Below the service description, you can find timely links to news items.
Department Services and Responsibilities
- Guide development of rural (unincorporated) areas of the county
- Assist county residents in ensuring their plans meet ordinance requirements
- Uphold the county’s Unified Development Ordinance (rules for how and where certain buildings can be constructed in unincorporated areas)
- Process applications for building permits and conduct site inspections
- Incorporate sustainability into development and County operations, including stormwater management and energy efficiency
- Support and advance local food systems
- Maintain a planning process that reflects the evolving needs of Johnson County
If there's information you cannot locate on the website, please call the Planning, Development and Sustainability Department for assistance locating the information.