AS OF NOV. 1, 2023, PDS is temporarily located on the third floor of the Johnson County Health and Human Services Building located at 855 S. Dubuque St. in Iowa City. Free public parking is located to the north of the HHS building. Please use the "flagpole entrance" at the north side of the building to easily access elevators or stairwell to the third floor.
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
The Planning, Development and Sustainability Department maintains a planning process that reflects the evolving needs of the county and assists residents in ensuring their plans meet ordinance requirements. Below the service description, you can find timely links to news items.
Services and Responsibilities
- Guide development of rural (unincorporated) areas of the county
- Assist county residents in ensuring their plans meet ordinance requirements
- Uphold the county’s Unified Development Ordinance (rules for how and where certain buildings can be constructed in unincorporated areas)
- Process applications for building permits and conduct site inspections
- Incorporate sustainability into development and County operations, including stormwater management and energy efficiency
- Support and advance local food systems
- Maintain a planning process that reflects the evolving needs of Johnson County
If there's information you cannot locate on the website, please call the Planning, Development and Sustainability Department for assistance.