For questions about code enforcement, or to file a code enforcement complaint, please contact the Planning, Development, Sustainability Office at 319-356-6083. You will be connected to our dedicated Code Enforcement Inspector who will follow up on the complaint.
Or you can email our Code Enforcement Inspector directly at [email protected]
Please note: We always prefer to collect the name and contact of individuals filing complaints so we can follow up after we have investigated.
Rental Inspections - Complaint Form and Checklist
- Approved address numbers legible and visible from the public way fronting the property and from the vehicle access area if other than the front of the building. (4” high minimum)
- Is siding and/or paint in good condition?
- Are all accessory structures in good condition? (garage, shed)
- Does the roof leak?
- Are the steps (uniform riser height and tread), decks and landings in good condition?
- Do stairways with 4 or more risers have a handrail?
- Do any balconies, porches or landing 30” or more above grade have guardrails?
- Are fences in good repair?
- Are sidewalks in safe and sound condition?
- Are gutters and/or downspouts in a good state of repair and directing rainwater away from the structure?
- Is the foundation in good repair?
- Smoke alarms installed in accordance with Johnson County Fire Code.
- Fire extinguishers installed in accordance with Johnson County Fire Code.
- Are all combustible materials stored at least 3’ away from sources of ignition?
- Do exterior doors have locks in working order?
- Are exterior doors weather tight?
- Are the doors in good working order including: exterior, interior screen and storm doors?
- Do windows have locks in working order?
- Are windows weather tight?
- Are emergency escape and rescue windows in every bedroom?
- Do operable windows have screens without rips, tears or holes?
Walls, Ceilings and Floors
- Are walls and ceilings maintained in a clean and sanitary condition?
- Are kitchen and bathroom floors maintained to keep them in a clean, dry and sanitary condition?
- Are all floors structurally sound?
- Do all habitable rooms have a ceiling height at least 7’? (Rooms with sloped ceilings shall have at least 1/3 of the floor area at 7”).
- Bedroom size is a minimum of 70 square feet.
- Does every habitable room have at least two separate duplex outlets and situated a distance apart equivalent to at least 25% of the perimeter of the room.
- Does every habitable room, toilet room, bathroom, laundry room, furnace room, basement, kitchen and/or cellar have at least one ceiling type, wall type or switched lighting fixture?
- Are all cover plates for outlets, switches and junction boxes in place?
- Are all switches, outlets and electrical fixtures properly installed and in good working order?
- Are there and extension cords or temporary wiring being used? (this is not permitted)
- Are there appropriate separate outlets for the stove and refrigerator?
- Are passageways and stairways in building with 3 or more units adequately lighted at all times?
- Do all habitable rooms, bathrooms and toilet rooms have adequate heat? (65 degrees measured at a distance of 3’ above the floor) Cooking appliances shall not be used to provide space heating to the requirements of this section.
- Are heating systems installed and operating properly?
- Are all combustion gases vented to the outside?
- Are there any fuel burning devices located in bathrooms or sleeping rooms? (this is not permitted)
- Do plumbing fixtures have adequate water pressure and do they operate properly?
- Do any supply or drain lines leak?
- Do all fixtures have proper traps to prevent infiltration of sewer gases?
- Are all fixtures working properly?
- Does the water heater have a temperature pressure relief valve installed in accordance with the Johnson County Plumbing Code?