Affordability, accessibility and availability of adequate housing options are key components of a livable community. Throughout Johnson County there are many resources to help seniors maintain their independence.
Find a current listing of certified building and remodeling professionals at The Greater Iowa City Area Home Builders Association (https://www.iowacityhomes.com/member-directory/)
The Housing Authority, a division of the City of Iowa City, 319-356-5400, [email protected] -- Assists low-income families to acquire and maintain affordable housing through rental and ownership programs. Rental assistance includes the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), Veterans' Supportive Housing (VASH), and Public Housing Programs. Participation in all programs requires the family be within federally established income guidelines.
Availability & Housing Options
Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES) are Realtors who have demonstrated knowledge and expertise to counsel clients ages 50-plus through major financial and lifestyle transitions in relocating, refinancing, or selling their homes. Find Iowa City-area SRES designees by contracting Iowa City Area Association of Realtors (ICAAR), 319-338-6460.
Resident Care Options
Not sure where to start when a loved one needs care?
View our descriptions of the different types of resident care communities available in Johnson County.
- Aging in Place Booklet (workbook) -- Use these steps as a reference when you put your Aging In Place plan to work. In times of stress, communication can break down. use these tips to help improve communication and find consensus amid the chaos. (2019)
- Aging In Place Checklist Aging In Place Checklist
- JCLC Service Directory - Find local resources and services
- Options for Johnson County Senior Resident Care Communities - Not sure where to start when a loved one needs care? Here is a breakdown of the different types of residential care communities available in Johnson County. There are six categories of residential care communities.
- Senior Housing Guide- TRAIL of Johnson County
- Video Collection - In addition to various educational videos, find videos from the Again in Place Forums.
- Aging Specialist, Johnson County Social Services. Find local resources and more information from Johnson County Social Services at 319-356-6090.
Search our Directory of Aging Services to locate local agencies or search by category for answers. Note that individual service providers are responsible for keeping their information up to date.
For additional help deciding available options and programs that may assist in meeting your needs, call Johnson County Social Services at 319-356-6090 or the Heritage Area Agency on Aging at 800-332-5934 or 319-398-5559.