Johnson County recognized as Dementia Friendly Community through Dementia Friendly America
Johnson County was recently recognized as an official Dementia Friendly Community through Dementia Friendly America. Dementia Friendly America equips communities in becoming dementia friendly and supporting people living with dementia.
“This designation is a recognition of our community for our commitment to assist individuals who are experiencing dementia in any way that we can,” said Jeff Kellbach, Johnson County Social Services Aging Specialist. “Johnson County is one of the fastest growing counties in the State of Iowa,...Read more
What is a livable community?
Johnson County is a livable community that offers:
- health and supportive services
- transportation and mobility options
- affordable and appropriate housing
- community and economic development
- cultural, volunteer, life-long learning and employment opportunities and
- public safety
Together these attributes facilitate personal independence and the engagement of residents in civic and social life.
A livable community is where everyone can age successfully, which is defined as living as vital a life as possible with the opportunity to flourish in the community. Successful aging is characterized by:
- supportive relationships with family and friends
- optimal mental and physical health
- community involvement
- new learning experiences
- a sense of purpose and meaning of life