What is the number for the VA 24-hour Crisis Line?

Dial 988 and then press 1.

I have a question about Veterans Benefits, who can assist me?

Call the Johnson County Veterans Affairs Office at 319-356-6049 or shoot us an email at [email protected], we’ll gladly assist. Or call the VA hotline @ 1-800-827-1000.

Where is the Iowa City Veterans Affairs Hospital located and what is their number?

Iowa City Veterans Affairs Hospital
601 Highway 6 West
Iowa City,IA 52246-2209

Phone: 319-338-0581

How do I apply for healthcare through the VA?

Fill out VA Form 10-10EZ, mail it or drop it off at the address listed on the form. You may also drop it off at your closest VA Enrollment Office/Hospital. You can download the form or apply online at https://www.va.gov/find-forms/about-form-10-10ez/. We are also able to assist you with this form and can send it in for you.

How do I get a copy of a DD-214, service records, and medals?

Contact us first as we can check local and state records departments.

Use the following links for information to directly request the records, or contact us for support:


or https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html

If you previously have recorded your DD-214 with Johnson County, you can obtain it through the Johnson County Recorder’s office at https://www.johnsoncountyiowa.gov/department-of-recorder.

How do I get a copy of my rating decision letter regarding my Federal claim?

Call 1-800-827-1000 to request it or create an account at https://www.va.gov/ where you can view your benefit letters, see the status of all your claims, and VA medical information.

How do I apply for the Military Property Tax Exemption or Disabled Veteran Credit?

Bring in a copy of your DD-214 and apply at the Johnson County Assessor’s Office. Forms can be filled out ahead of time by visiting https://www.johnsoncountyiowa.gov/county-assessor/forms. We are also able to assist you with the applications or questions.

I have a question regarding my GI educational benefit, who do I call?

To check on status of payment and general questions, you can call 888-442-4551. You can also speak to the Veterans Representative at your current or prospective school. We are gladly here to assist to point you in the right direction to apply and obtain your Certificate of Eligibility.

How do I go about getting a VA Home Loan or Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?

Go to https://www.va.gov/housing-assistance/home-loans/how-to-request-coe/ and apply for a COE. Work with your lender. If you have questions regarding the process, call 877-827-3702.

What benefits may Iowa grant for Veterans?

Please visit https://dva.iowa.gov/benefits-assistance/benefits. We may be able to provide assistance with applying for state benefits or answer questions you may have.

How can I Honor a Veteran to help preserve their legacy at the Johnson County Armory & Veterans Memorial?

Please contact us by phone at 319-356-6049 or by email at [email protected], or visit https://www.johnsoncountyiowa.gov/memorial