Is there a warrant for my arrest?

Initial Arrest Warrants are confidential before they are served. You may go to any law enforcement agency in person to find out if you have any outstanding warrants. Once an initial arrest warrant is served, the information is public record and available on Iowa Courts Online. You can also see if a warrant has been issued for an existing court case (failure to appear, contempt, etc.) on Iowa Courts Online.

How can I request a restraining order?

If a person needs or feels they need to get a restraining order against another person there are a few ways to do this: 

  1. If it is the result of a domestic abuse arrest the Judge will normally issue a no contact order at the time of initial appearance for the suspect that does not allow the suspect to contact the victim in person, through writing, via telephone, via letter or email, or through a 3rd person. 
  2. If the reason is domestic abuse and no charges are filed the person may contact the Domestic Violence Intervention Program (DVIP). 
  3. If the restraining order is the result of something other than the above two reasons the person should consult a private attorney to help draw up documents to take to the Judge to get the restraining order.

I have a question about gun permits.

You can find the most up to date information pertaining to gun permits from the state website.

I have been a victim of a crime, how can I receive notification when an offender's custody status changes?

The Iowa State Victim Notification Service (VINE) is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or internet to search for information regarding their offender's custody status and register to receive telephone and email notification when their offender's custody status changes. This service is brought to you by the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office. The VINE Toll Free Number for IA VINE is (888) 742-8463.

My vehicle has been towed. What do I do?

First, you need to know where your vehicle was towed from. If it was in Iowa City, Coralville or another jurisdiction, then you will need to contact them to see if a release form is needed. The Sheriff's Office usually has either Big Ten Towing or Holiday Wrecker tow vehicles. You can contact the tow company to see what they will need to release your vehicle.

Is there anywhere else that does fingerprinting?

Yes. The University of Iowa DPS has hours available to the public for fingerprinting. You can visit their website for additional information. The North Liberty Police Department also has fingerprinting hours. Please visit their website for additional information.

I had property taken for an investigation. How do I get it back?

You can contact the Records Division to inquire about your case. Prior arrangement with a deputy must be made before property can be released back to the owner.

I need something showing my intake and release dates. How do I get this?

When you are released from jail you are given a paper (signed by you and a deputy) that shows your intake and release date. If you no longer have this paper, you can come to the Records Division and request a copy for $0.50/page.

What can I do with my unused prescription drugs?

The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office now has a Drug Drop Box available in the lobby. The public can access the drop box 24/7 and dispose of all types of unwanted prescription medications and drugs (including illegal drugs) anonymously. For safety reasons, we ask that no needles, sharps or liquids be dropped in the box. This helps to prevent drug abuse and unintentional overdose deaths, as well as keeping discarded drugs from contaminating landfills and the water supply.

Do I need to update my address on my Driver's License when I move?

Yes. The DOT requires that you get your address updated on your Driver's License within 30 days of moving.

Business Emergency Notification Form

In order to better serve and protect your business property we ask that you take the time to fill out this Business Emergency Notification Form and return it to the Sheriff's Office. Frequently during the course of our duties a Deputy finds an open door to a business or responds to a burglar alarm. Much too often we are unable to contact the owner or call personnel to have them respond to check out and secure the business. This means that we have to secure it the best way we can and leave it.

How can I find information about the MRAP vehicle?

Click here to see the MRAP vehicle fact sheet

Safety tips before conducting a controlled burn.

Always check the weather conditions and report your prescribed burn to the Joint Emergency Communication Center at 319-356-6800. 
View the video for safety tips provided by your local Johnson County First Responders.