Johnson County's Rural Cleanup Program allows residents of unincorporated Johnson County to dispose of up to one ton (2,000 pounds) of waste per household per calendar year at no cost at the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center, 3900 Hebl Avenue, Iowa City. The program is provided to encourage proper waste disposal and recycling and discourage burning and dumping of waste in rural Johnson County. Funding for this program comes from the Rural Basic Fund, which is a tax on unincorporated property in Johnson County for County-provided rural services.


Participation is limited to those who reside in unincorporated Johnson County. A residential structure must exist on the property of the resident wishing to utilize the program. Eligibility is determined by a property information database based on tax records maintained by Johnson County.

To dispose of waste at the landfill through the Johnson County Rural Cleanup Program, a resident must:

  • Be listed in Johnson County property information database as the legal deed holder of the eligible property,


  • Present a state-issued ID (driver's license or non-driver ID) which indicates that the individual wishing to dispose of waste resides at the eligible property.

Landfill staff are not responsible for handling disputes regarding eligibility. Disputes must be addressed with the Johnson County Board of Supervisors Office.

Disputes and reimbursement

The Johnson County property information database is updated by the County on the last business day of each month. If a property is not in the property information database or the resident cannot provide proof of address, the individual must pay for the waste disposal at the time of drop-off. Residents who are eligible but are not listed in the database will be reimbursed by the County upon presentation of the landfill receipt and documentation of eligibility. Documentation should be brought or mailed to the Board of Supervisors Office located at 913 S. Dubuque Street, Iowa City.

  • If the property has been purchased since the database with last updated, in order to claim reimbursement, the resident must produce a copy of the deed or other proof of property purchase in addition to their landfill receipt.
  • If a home has been constructed (or is being constructed) on the property since the database was updated, in order to claim reimbursement, the resident must produce a copy of an approved County-issued permit (building, driveway, septic or well) for the property in addition to their landfill receipt. The database relies on information provided by the County Assessor and is updated by April of each year to reflect the state of the dwelling as it existed on January 1.
  • If an individual who is not the deed holder and does not have an ID indicating residency on the property, then he or she must have permission from the deed holder to dispose of waste on their behalf. In order to claim reimbursement, the individual must provide written authorization from the deed holder in addition to their landfill receipt.

Rural Cleanup Program policies, procedures, and instructions.

Questions should be directed to the Board of Supervisors Office at 319-356-6000 or [email protected]