These regulations apply to new one and two family dwellings and additions consisting of more than 25% of the existing structure. The minimum accessibility requirements are as follows:
- Interior doors: At least one bedroom, one bathroom and all other passage doorway header widths, on the level served by the designed step-less entrance, shall be framed to accommodate a minimum 38” rough opening. The actual framing may be reduced to accommodate any door size. Exception: Doors serving closets 24” or less in depth do not require a 38” rough opening.
- Switch and outlet requirements: All wall switches, controlling light fixtures and fans, all temperature control devices and all receptacles shall be located in an area between 15” and 48” above the finished floor.
- Electrical panel requirements: Electrical panels shall be located so that the individual circuit breakers are located between 15” and 54” above the finished floor.
- Sanitation facilities: There must be at least one bathroom containing a water closet, lavatory and a shower or bathtub located on the level of the dwelling accessed by a step-less entrance. The room must be designed in a manner that will provide a minimum of 30” by 48” clear floor space at the water closet and lavatory. Exception: If a proposed bathroom design shows that a shower or bathtub can be provided within the room or an adjoining room then the shower or bathtub is not required.
- Wall reinforcement: One bathroom must be provided with wood blocking located in all walls adjacent to and behind a water closet, shower or bathtub to support grab bars as needed. The wood blocking, when measured to the center, will be located between 33” and 36” above the finished floor.
- Step-less entrance: At least one building entrance must be designed on an accessible route served by a ramp in accordance with section R311.8 or a no-step entrance. The accessible route must extend from a vehicular drop-off, or parking at a building entrance. The entry door must have a minimum clear opening of 32”.
- Garages: Must be wired for power operated overhead doors.
- Decks: All exterior deck and patio surfaces adjacent to the level served by the designed step-less entrance must be built within 4” of the dwellings finished floor level or top of the threshold whichever is higher.
The above regulations are abbreviated. For a complete list of these regulations please consult the Johnson County Building Code.