Erosion and Sediment Control

Application of Requirements

An Erosion and Sediment Control Plan is required for approval of:

  • Subdivision Plats (may be deferred)
  • Site Plans
  • Grading Permits
  • Demolition Permits
  • Conditional Use Permits (certain types)
  • Building Permits for the following building permit application types: 
  1. Single-family dwellings.
  2. Dwelling additions with a footprint of 1,000 square feet or greater. 
  3. Ground disturbance greater than one quarter (1/4) acre (including grading).

An Erosion and Sediment Control plan must be approved prior to issuance of a building permit.  An Erosion and Sediment Control permit is then issued concurrently with the building permit. 

Erosion and Sediment Control Plan Checklist

The following is a basic list of elements that should be included, at a minimum, on Erosion and Sediment Control plans. Incomplete information may result in delay in the approval of your application.

  • Perimeter control measures.
    • Indicate type (i.e. silt fence, filter sock) and location. 
    • Must be provided downslope of all exposed soils.
  • Location of the construction entrance.
  • Location of the concrete washout facility.
  • Location of stockpiles and proposed protection.
  • A topsoil preservation note – Johnson County requires that all existing topsoil be preserved and reapplied on site in a uniform, uncompacted manner.

Measures must be installed and maintained according to SUDAS guidelines, and may need to be modified in the field as necessary to effectively prevent off-site sedimentation.  Installation of most practices should precede grading activities. 


Grading Permits

Grading Permit Application

Application of Requirements

Projects that require ground disturbance in excess of one quarter (1/4) acre where no development application has been approved, is required to obtain a grading permit in accordance with 8:1.26.A.3 of the Johnson County Unified Development Ordinance. 

Grading Permit Application Checklist

In order to obtain a grading permit, the following must be provided for review and approval: 

  • Sensitive Areas Assessment and Report, in accordance with section 8:3.5 of the Johnson County Unified Development Ordinance. 
  • Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (see checklist above). 
  • A site plan showing existing and proposed contours, limits of disturbance, and any existing structures. 

Questions? Contact Planning, Development and Sustainability at 319-356-6083