Each year, the Johnson County Secondary Road Department permits private residents to contract with pre-approved dust alleviation applicators to apply a dust control product to county roadways. The resident is responsible for 100% of the cost and will issue payment directly to the applicator.
If you elect to have a dust control product applied to a secondary road, you are required to submit a permit to one of the approved applicators on or before May 19, 2023. Permits will not be accepted after this date. You will be required to designate one of the approved applicators on the completed permit and submit the form directly to the selected company, along with payment. A permit can be obtained through the designated applicator or you may click here to print out an acceptable application. Please complete the form, sign and mail to your selected applicator.
The following rules and regulations have been established by Johnson County and each applicant shall adhere to them during the duration of the 2023 dust control season.
- The applicator applying the dust palliative treatment must be pre-approved by the Johnson County Secondary Road Department (see attached list). You may not apply your own product.
- A permit must be completed by each applicant and sent to the selected applicator, who will forward the permit to our office for review and approval.
- For Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride or Lignin Sulfonate: Two (2) dust control palliative treatments are required per applicant. Single applications will not be allowed nor will a third/“touch-up” treatment, without specific approval from the Johnson County Secondary Road Department.
- For Chip Seal (Oil) applications: One (1) treatment is required per applicant as determined by the Johnson County Secondary Road Department Policy.
- Minimum treatment length is 500 feet per area, longer treatment areas are allowed; however, lengths exceeding ½ mile must receive specific approval from the Johnson County Secondary Road Department.
- The treatment area must be marked with the appropriate applicator’s flags. One flag should be placed at each end of the area to be treated. The flags are to remain in place from May 1st through November 1st.
- Johnson County will prepare the treatment area prior to the application of the dust alleviation product, if properly notified. Failure to timely submit an application and/or properly mark the treatment area may result in substandard dust control quality as the county may deem it necessary to disturb the treated area.
- For Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride or Lignin Sulfonate: Johnson County will schedule application of the dust control product so that the initial application will be placed approximately late May/early June, weather permitting; while application of the second treatment shall be placed approximately mid-August, weather permitting. Johnson County reserves the right to alter or change the proposed application dates.
- For Chip Seal (Oil) Treatments: Johnson County will schedule application of the dust control product so that the initial application will be placed approximately mid to late July, weather permitting. Johnson County reserves the right to alter or change the proposed application dates.
- At any time of year, the Secondary Road Department may send a letter of notification to the applicant requesting repairs of the chip seal surface including but not limited to: patching, distortion of the road surface requiring re-shaping of the road, and repairs resulting from utility work and road maintenance including culvert replacement. Any area not properly maintained, as required by Johnson County, will be reverted back to a gravel surface, and the applicant may file for another permit the following year.
- All complaints regarding the performance of the dust alleviation product or the application should be directed to the applicator. The County cannot resolve these issues on your behalf, nor does the County endorse any applicator; yet if you feel you are being treated unfairly, please inform the County so that the situation may be addressed next year when approving applicators.
Approved applicators (2023)
The following contractors have been pre-approved by the Secondary Road Department to participate in the application of dust alleviation for 2022. Please note that there are four types of products offered: Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Lignin Sulfonate, and Chip Seal. The prices listed are set by the individual provider and are subject to change without notice.
Binns & Stevens (Calcium Chloride)
P.O. Box 1005, Oskaloosa, IA 52577
$663.50 total for 2 applications of 500 feet
BLUE FLAGS are available at the Johnson County Secondary Roads office on Melrose Avenue.
Blue Flame (Lignin Sulfonate & Calcium Chloride)
18602 County Road G34, Letts, IA 52754
Lignin Sulfonate shortage and not available this year
$684.80 (for the total of 2 applications of 500 feet of Calcium Chloride)
ORANGE FLAGS labeled are available at Blue Flame
M & K Dust Control, Inc. (Lignin Sulfonate, Calcium Chloride, & Magnesium Chloride)
1011 1st Ave NE
Mt Vernon IA 52314-1406
$890.00+tax for 2 applications of 500 ft minimum (Lignin Sulfonate)
$1175.00+tax for 2 applications of 500 ft minimum (Calcium Chloride)
$1125.00+ tax for 2 applications of 500 ft minimum (Magnesium Chloride)
Orange flags labeled with M&K will be available at the Johnson County Secondary Roads Department. Flags should be placed on each end of application area and may be placed on the side of the road or in the fence line. If customers are unable to flag the area themselves, this service will be provided for them.
Oak Ridge Services (Magnesium Chloride)
1932 Hwy 92
Washington IA 52353
$875.00 for 2 applications of 500 ft minimum
Oak Ridge Services will mail out to the customers a letter that explains their options & prices. Followed by 4 “Fluorescent Orange” flags so that they can mark out all four corners of their dust control area.
Chip seal treatment
P.O. Box 230, North Liberty, IA 52317
On Existing Oiled Areas – Single Seal Coat
150’ Minimum (Re-oiled Areas) - $6.75/LF
New Oiled Areas – Double Seal Coat
500’ Minimum - $16.00/LF
PINK FLAGS are available at the LL Pelling Office or the Secondary Roads office on Melrose Avenue