Jon Green (D) 9718 (66%)
Phil Hemingway (R) 4504 (31%)
Brian Campbell 471 (3%)
Write in 15
Registered voters 88,424
Total Voters 14,711
Turnout by precinct Updates 9 AM, 11 AM, 3 PM, and close of polls
Sample Ballot (same ballot style for all precincts)
Jon Green, Democratic Party
207 N Devoe St PO Box 35
Lone Tree IA 52755
Phil Hemingway, Republican Party
5740 Highway 6 SE
West Liberty 52776
4454 Sand Rd SE
Iowa City IA 52240
Dates and deadlines:
- April 18, 2021: Supervisor Janelle Rettig resigned. Rettig's term expires December 31, 2022, and the election winner will serve until that date.
- April 23, 2021: Committee of Auditor Travis Weipert, Recorder Kim Painter, and Treasurer Tom Kriz met and decided to call for a special election rather than making an appointment.
- May 8, 2021: Republican nominating convention at Miller Learning Center, 2010 Keokuk St., 9 AM. Contact Johnson County Republicans for more information.
- May 11, 2021: Democratic nominating convention at Johnson County Fairgrounds Building C, 4265 Oak Crest Hill Rd SE, 6 PM. Contact Johnson County Democrats for more information.
- Friday, May 14: Filing deadline, 5 PM 25 days before election. Democratic and Republican candidates need to file certificate of nomination by convention and affidavit of candidacy. Persons interested in running as Democrats or Republicans should contact the parties. Other candidates may file with 250 signatures and affidavit of candidacy.
- Wednesday, May 19: Drive through early voting begins. Voting hours 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.
- Wednesday, May 19: 7 PM League of Women Voters candidate forum on Zoom.
- Monday, May 24: Voter pre-registration deadline and deadline to request mailed absentee ballot, both 5 PM. Note that these deadlines have recently been changed under state law. Election day registration and in person early voting will still be available after this date.
- Monday, May 31: Memorial Day, Auditor's Office closed.
- Saturday, June 5: Satellite voting at Iowa City Public Library, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and at North Liberty Community Library, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday, June 6: Satellite voting at Coralville Public Library, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and at Iowa City Public Library, noon to 5 p.m.
- Monday, June 7: Last day for drive through early voting at Auditor's Office, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 8: Election Day. Polls open 7 AM to 8 PM. Vote at regular polling places.
In recent changes to state law:
- Mailed ballots must be returned to the Auditor's Office before the polls close at 8 PM.
- The poll closing time has been changed to 8 PM for all elections.