Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a national IRS sponsored program that provides free tax preparation of federal and state tax returns for households with income less than $64,000.
Volunteers are critical to the success of the VITA program. VITA volunteers help complete and file tax returns for those who have a limited income. On average, it costs a taxpayer nearly $300 to have their return prepared and filed by a tax firm. This money can instead be used for basic needs, such as groceries and rent.
VITA provides access to anti-poverty tools. VITA helps ensure accuracy of returns and maximizes access to available credits including the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), the Child Tax Credit and other tax saving credits. Each year, the EITC alone lifts millions of Americans out of poverty.
- Welcome and check in all attendees/taxpayers.
- Provide taxpayers with an intake folder and intake form.
- Explain process and direct taxpayers to tax preparers.
- No tax knowledge required. The only training requirement includes passing a ten- question ethics quiz and attending a brief training session to prepare for this role.
- Interview taxpayers and prepare tax returns on behalf of clients with a team on site or be available to answer taxpayer questions at a facilitate self-assistance site.
- Answer questions and use available resources to assist taxpayers
- Once taxes are completed, they are reviewed by a Site Coordinator or Quality Reviewer.
- No financial background or previous tax preparation experience is necessary for this role. This position requires completion of online IRS training (10-12 hours), passing IRS certification, and completion of a ten question ethics quiz.
These volunteer opportunities are flexible. Volunteers will have the opportunity to sign up for 3 – 4 hour shifts that occur during the day, evenings and on Saturdays from the end of January through mid-April. Sign up for as many shifts as desired.
We are accepting volunteers who are interested in joining us for the 2023 tax season. Training for the season will begin in December 2023. For more information or to sign up to volunteer complete the form below.